Suggestion: syntax to iterate in an array or an object and for slices

Topics: Language Specification
Oct 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I'm not sure it fits in the direction you want the language to take but here's some things I would really enjoy:

Something like the C# foreach or the coffeescript "for value in object" / "for index, value in array" / "for key, value of object"

A short slice syntax like the python one or the coffeescript one: array[:-1]

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2012 at 9:33 PM

In ES5, you can use the array forEach method:

[0, 1, 4].forEach(n => console.log(n * 3));

Note that 'n' is contextually typed to be of type 'number'. Is this what you're looking for?

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Thanks, well it works but it's not really as convenient as a language keyword, (like forEach method in LINQ vs foreach keyword in C#).

I konw it's just syntactic sugar but it's a lot of keystrokes saved at the end of the day :), expecially if the (index, value) in array and (key, value) in object are available.

I might be a bit off, I'm not sure how close to javascript you want TS to stay (of course as a superset of JS, implementing new languages features is harder than with a new languague)

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Looks like my (for x of y) suggestion is actually in Harmony, certainly better explained: 

https://brendaneich.com/2012/10/harmony-of-dreams-come-true/?utm_source=javascriptweekly&utm_medium=email

in the "for of iteration" section.

Of course all of these features are nice and it'd be great to be able to use them on ES3 engines thanks to typescript.