Backbone.js TypeScript Typings

Topics: General
Oct 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Hi,

I'm really excited about TypeScript! It's a perfect balance for me and our team.

I see a typings definition for backbone.js in the ToDo sample.

Could this be separated out from the sample and maintained as an ongoing Type definition file for backbone.js?  We use backbone pretty heavily.

That would be useful!

Thanks much,

Jon Kragh

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM

You bet.  TypeScript is available under Apache 2.0, including the samples.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

What's the plan for maintaining and distributing these definition files going forward?

Will there be an official repo for them?  How about a package manager?  Maybe they could be put on Nuget as separate assets.

Thanks

Joe

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I agree there needs to be an easy way to find definitions for a library you want to use.  We're looking into a few possibilities on our end that we can work with the community on.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM
It would be great to have a package manager to distribute these.
In fact, there’s a bigger client side JavaScript solution missing for package management. Maybe a special ‘npm’ version or Nuget.
Sent: ‎October‎ ‎5‎, ‎2012 ‎12‎:‎36‎ ‎PM
To: joewood@live.com
Subject: Re: Backbone.js TypeScript Typings [typescript:397722]

I agree there needs to be an easy way to find definitions for a library you want to use. We're looking into a few possibilities on our end that we can work with the community on.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:29 AM

+1 on using TypeScript with Backbone.  I'm working on a large project, maybe around 80k lines of code that I would like to use Typescript with.

The example looks like a pretty good starting point.  If anyone actually upgrades a large Backbone app with Typescript I'd be curious to know how it goes.

I'd also probably like to create a Typescript definitions file for the Backbone View-Model binding library I wrote: https://github.com/theironcook/backbone.modelbinder.  I'm still a little unclear on how these files should be organized though.