Microsoft uses Typescript ?

Topics: General
Oct 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Thanks for the great work on TypeScript.  I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far, but I'm leery of investing time into such a new tech.  Do you know whether Microsoft plans to employ TypeScript in its own web properties ?  If TypeScript is "baked" enough for Microsoft to use, then it's good enough for me too ... :-)

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I read that the BING maps team uses it to manage their javascript APIs. Frankly, this is a 50 person team and I'm sure there are a lot of internal teams dogfooding TypeScript. I'm using it myself for a large production-grade project and find it perfectly stable.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Thanks, oisin!  I'll give it a try ...

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

That said, it is still a preview release, so we advise some caution while we push toward 1.0

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I think for me the question is this; is the language spec likely to change between now and 1.0 in a way that would significantly break code I might write tomorrow?

I am not asking for a promise, but I would love to get someone on the team's opinion on that. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

It is possible there will be breaking changes between the 0.8 release and 1.0.  In part, this is from aligning some of TypeScript's features with the draft ECMAScript version 6 specification, which hasn't yet been completed.  The public release has the "preview" label to let people know that TypeScript may have breaking changes between versions until the 1.0 release.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Is there a timeline for these releases? We've been simply blown away with TS, it does pretty much everything we wanted so far (once you learn the syntax). So we're actively converting a massive code base into native TS. We fully expect that you'll change things for 1.0, but it'd be nice to know when this may happen.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM

We have a roadmap here: which will likely get filled out with more details as we go and as we get feedback/feature requests from the community.