Why not use C# language specification?

Topics: General, Language Specification
Nov 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM

C# is already proven to be a great language, highly sophisticated and advanced, with awesome design-time tools, why not to benefit from all those tools, and honor existing developer knowledge? Will this be another showdown of Dart vs. TypeScript?

Here's a C# example for reference.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Do you really prefer to write the code on the left, instead of the code on the right?

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Well, after managing and being involved in dozens of big JavaScript projects in the past 10 years, I can honestly say that I couldn't imagine my life without it. Of course that for a few lines of js you don't need it, but for that you don't need TypeScript as well. TypeScript, Dart, CoffeeScript and SharpKit are all solving the same problem: JavaScript productivity with large amounts of code. Try implementing a project with 10,000 lines of JavaScript code and then you tell me which side you prefer, the left or the right... :-)

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I tried ScriptSharp and Saltarelle, and to be honest, at the time they were ok for me, but since TypeScript has come out, my preference definitely goes to TypeScript. C# language is just to much different from javascript. There are too many times you need to think about how the c# code has to be written to get the correct javascript equivalent. I'm no big fan of javascript but TypeScript makes it a lot better experience.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Edited Nov 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Typescript is meant to be a Super-set if JavaScript, not like CoffeeScript or Dart that merely translates into JavaScript... TypeScript comes from JavaScript and it returns to JavaScript... That is what I like about it, it gives regular JavaScript some structure...

And most added features are taken from/inspired by/rooted in ECMAScript 6 so that is fundamentally also aligned to JavaScript.

So when you state "honor existing developer knowledge?"... Well it DOES exactly that... developers here are just not referring to .NET/C# developers like you want, but instead the Core JavaScript developers out there...

So TypeScript does a very good job of honoring existing JavaScript developer knowledge out there.
And keep in mind that there are many "NON-C#/.NET" Developers out there that are using or can use TypeScript as well. 

I am a .NET/C# developer my self, and I do struggle with mistypes in both TypeScript and C# by now... however, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I think you posted on the wrong forum. The one you want is over here: http://scriptsharp.com/