An idea for a tighter CSS and TS integration in VS

Topics: General
Dec 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Background: We use TS without almost any HTML markup, the UI is created by TS code and hence we frequently assign CSS classes to HTML elements.

Needed: a tighter integration between CSS and TS. VS studio could automatically generate some kind of resource map file, perhaps similar to the R class in Android. There would be a new type “CssClass” so the compiler could catch incorrect function calls. Intellisense would then allow you to start typing like “R.Cs” this would expand to “R.CssClasses.”, and then you would perhaps get a list of matching classes. The resource map could also include all images in a project.

Just an idea…

---bjorn

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Thanks for the idea.

We may look into convenience changes like this in the future.  For the near term we're largely focused on keeping the language stream-lined and growing it with an eye to being able to type and use major existing JS libraries.  There's still quite a lot of polish to get to that point.

Once we've hit that goal, we'll may stretch our wings a bit and see what's possible in improving the development experience further.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply and I agree there are more important things to take care of at the moment.
TS is just great, finally I have a tool that allows me to be productive coding for the web.
Any plans from MS to provide a “UI Kit?”, would be great with a standard MS library for creating dialogs, tabs, datatables, command routing etc.
---bjorn
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:54 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: An idea for a tighter CSS and TS integration in VS [typescript:406243]

Thanks for the idea.

We may look into convenience changes like this in the future. For the near term we're largely focused on keeping the language stream-lined and growing it with an eye to being able to type and use major existing JS libraries. There's still quite a lot of polish to get to that point.

Once we've hit that goal, we'll may stretch our wings a bit and see what's possible in improving the development experience further.