Does anyone else have terrible performance with the editor in Visual Studio 2012?

Topics: General
Mar 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM
I have just started investigating TypeScript and the performance of the editor is horrid! It is so bad that I expected to see a flood of complaints but haven't been able to find any. I'm using the default template in VS2012 with a single code file that is only 100 lines long. The formatter (which I understand is written in TypeScript) takes an unacceptably long amount of time to indent and format code. For example, hitting enter 4 times at the bottom of the file which changes nothing in the file results in the following status messages:

Smart Indenting task took more than 1 second(s) to complete. Try again later.
Formatting task took more than 2 second(s) to complete. Try again later.

The whole process of adding four blank lines takes 12 seconds. I've tried the Microsoft fix of restarting and reinstalling with no luck. I'm running a quad core i7-950, so I'm doubting it's that.

Am I the only one with this problem?
Mar 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM
@aakison,

I too had this problem intermittently. I think this started occurring with 0.8.3 - never encountered it in previous versions.

Restarting VS fixed it.

The second time round, I found that there were actually 3 devenv.exe processes (on task manager). Killing the two non-active processes has made things a bit more stable, in the sense it has not occurred since (about 12 hours).

Strange problem. I'm not able to shed any more light on this at the moment, but I wonder if anyone else is having this issue?

Noel
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.