Collapse to definition in v.0.9 collapses everything all the way up to the root module by design

Topics: General
Apr 26, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Collapse to definition (Edit -> Outlining -> Collapse to Definitions) is an extremly useful feature when it comes to getting an overview of the code structure in a file. When you do it in C# you get your code collapsed to the level of method signatures. In TypeScript version 0.8. it worked the same way. Now in version 0.9 it collapses to the topmost module, leaving one just element in the document and hiding everything else effectively rendering this feature useless.

At first I though it a bug, because
  • there is not much sense in collapsing everything
  • you can achieve the same by running "Toggle all Outlining" (Edit -> Outlining -> Toggle all Outlinig"
So I created a bug (https://typescript.codeplex.com/workitem/954) which was closed on the same day with the following reason:
"This is by design.. it collapses the code to the definition of the module."

I hope it's some sort of mistake, and you guys didn't really mean it's by design, so the bug should be reopened.

Or... please give me a clue why you did it this way

Thank you
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I agree, seeing only the module and not the first level of its members seems less useful. I'll reopen and assign to me for further investigation.
Jul 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I'd also like to be able to collapse nested functions.