Serious issues with 0.9.0

Topics: Code Checkins, General
Jun 28, 2013 at 1:30 AM
TypeScript is awesome, yes. But the 0.9.0 build is seriously problematic.

We are using TypeScript heavily on my current application. We have 20-40 .ts files. When I open the solution in VS (after installing 0.9.0) VS just hangs. I can see tsc.exe spiking in Task Manager (it looks like it's compiling ts files). After about 10 minutes Visual Studio finishes loading and I can see tsc.exe has chilled out.

When I uninstall 0.9.0 (replace with 0.8.3.1) this problem goes away.

For the record, I disabled the Web Essentials add-in.

Also, we are using a patched tsc.js because of a bug we found with the compiler.
Jul 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Finding a lot of problems here too. I tried 0.9.0 for a while, and noticed all eight CPU cores of my Core i7 at 100% when compiling TypeScript.

I've also tried the patch today 0.9.0.1 to see if it would fix problems, but it's nowhere near as stable as 0.8.x was. I was getting invalid encoding for an existing TypeScript file that worked file with 0.8.2.

I've now reverted to 0.8.2 and will wait to see what 0.9.1 is like when that arrives.
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Qurango - we changed how file encoding worked for 0.9. Now, if there are ANSI characters (or characters above the ASCII standard), you will need to save the files as UTF-8. This is part of the general syntax tightening we've done in the new compiler.

You should definitely not be seeing all cores being pegged at 100%, as only one instance of tsc.exe should ever be running at once. Can you confirm that you're not using the WebEssentials add-in also?
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM
kingdango - this should not happen with Web Essentials disabled. I'll add copy this to a work item.
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.