VS 2013 RTM

Topics: General
Oct 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Will a TypeScript update be released with VS 2013 RTM this week, or will it ship with While several branches seem to be actively progressing, there doesn't seem to be any hint regarding VS 2013 RTM. If there won't be a new release, do you have any guidance for when the next release might be? Ryan Cavanaugh posted on September 25 that the 0.9.2 release schedule was changed, but there hasn't been any further information since then and no blog posts since the RC two weeks before that.

Many thanks for your work on this great language!
Oct 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I'm hoping we will see v1.0 released with VS2013 RTM. I usually look over the check-ins and it looks like the TS team has been working around the clock these last couple weeks on cleaning up code. This might be a indicator that they are prepping something for release w/ VS2013 later this week.
Oct 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM
The sudden change of plans and silence is consistent with someone of a high pay grade declaring that TypeScript 1.0 has to be released with VS 2013. I'm hopful it will raise the profile of the language and grow the community.
Oct 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Edited Oct 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Perhaps I missed something, but according to http://www.infoq.com/news/2013/09/vs2013RC, Visual Studio won't be released until November 13. Can someone point me to an article that suggests differently?
Oct 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Edited Oct 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM
S. Somasegar announced the Visual Studio 2013 RTM download availability date as October 18:

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM
We cover plans for TypeScript 1.0 in a recent blog post, which you can check out here:

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Thanks Jon. Looking forward to 0.9.5.
Oct 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM
@jonturner, thanks for the update.

There is a major disadvantage in keeping stuff in the development branch and not making an MSI available (I personally do not have the time or resources to work off the develop branch.)

Namely, it discourages people from reporting issues.

At present we are living with 2 major bugs - one critical and the other a significant nuisance - that I have not reported.

A description of the bugs:
  • The compiled JavaScript is dropping off a module prefix under difficult to reproduce circumstances (e.g. new MyClass() instead of new foo.MyClass(). It has something to do with a generic base class. [Critical]
  • When an interface extends two further generic interfaces, the IDE gets its knickers in a twist and prints out red squigglies all over the place, but the code compiles fine [Nuisance]
They are both difficult to reproduce and it will take half a day of my time to sit down and sort that out. I don't want to spend that time only to find that it has been fixed already.
Oct 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I am completely in the same situation. Now that VS 2013 RTM is behind us and you've set out the roadmap, is there any way that the TypeScript team could find the time to set up a nightly or even weekly build process that outputs a "Canary" MSI from each branch? This would help your most dedicated community members provide feedback sooner.
Oct 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM
For those using the Eclipse plug-in, we are publishing builds based on the 'develop' branch periodically (the last update was 2 days ago for example).

The 'develop' update site is: http://eclipse-update.palantir.com/eclipse-typescript-develop/