Disable Typescript Compiling In VS 2013

Topics: General
Nov 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Hi,

I just want to use VS for syntax highlighting. I have a grunt + typescript build process that listens for file changes.

The problem is that visual studio keeps adding an msbuild task to my project when i add a typescript file, or update typings via nuget.

Ideally if i could add an msbuild condition to cancel the typescript msbuild take that would stop this compilation.
Nov 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I'm curious. What's the advantage of Grunt and a file watcher building your TypeScript files over letting VS do it?
Nov 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM
it doesnt just compile typescript,

its a full pipeline from typescript -> javascript -> jslint -> uglify -> jasmine tests -> compile angular templates -> run specs -> concat -> minify

plus i dont get the performance issues vs has with typescript.

but more importantly the pipeline above is a big win.
Developer
Nov 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM
If you right click on a file in Solution Explorer and select Properties then you'll be able to change the Build Action from TypeScriptCompile to None/Content/whatever.
Nov 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM
This can be quite laborious is there a way to change the default beaviour for typescript files?
Nov 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM
You might get what you want by changing the targets file at C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v11.0\TypeScript\Microsoft.TypeScript.targets and emptying out the CompileTypeScript target.

I'm only guessing here because no one else has responded in a while.