Get instant compilation time by stop building entirely and rely only on compile-on-save?

Topics: General
Apr 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Is there actually any need to build / run tsc.exe during development?

Or can i just rely on VS 2013 Update 2 doing its near instant compile-on-save?

I gave it a try and in VS options i configured "projects and solutions" > "build and run" > "On Run, when projects are out of date" to "Never build".

Then instead of "build" + "debug", i do "save all" + "debug", and my build times went down from 18 seconds to about 0.05 seconds. Which was nice.

So far everything seems to work perfectly. Is relying entirely on the VS compile-on-save feature fine, or will i run into trouble?
Apr 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM
I'll let other people on here speak from experience, but in theory this should work fine. Compile-on-save works with the project settings, which should be the same rather you're building your project or doing the compile on save.
Apr 30, 2014 at 7:13 PM
The only thing that may not work as well with that is when you reference external files (outside your project) and need to copy them into a sub-folder. For example, when you reference a lib during development, need to compile it, and copy it your own project. I do this via pre-build event, which requires a build. So it'll work great until I make a change to the lib, then I have to do a Rebuild to build both projects.

Otherwise, compile on save has mainly always worked for me.