Cannot get a Typescript project template

Topics: General
May 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM
LS,

I have a Windows 8.1 machine with VS2013 and VS2012 installed.

Today I installed the VS update 2 (real version not RC). I checked, but no Typescript template.

I checked the Typescript website and installed Node.JS so that I could run: npm install -g typescript.

Again, no Typescript template (not on VS2012 and not on VS2013).

I looked for a specific installation and after some searching I found version 1.0.1 as a download on a MS site.

Installed it, but again no Typescipt template.

Than I read that you can run file with the VSIX extention. All very nice and it probably was included in in the 0.9 version, but I couldn't find that file at the specified location and I did find other Typescript files at that location.

Than I read that you could unzip the MSI file and that this would reveal the .vsix file. Well the download offered from MS was an exe file and not a MSI file and when I unzip that exe file I get about 41 files with useless names.

Besides that I have VS2013 and VS2012 on that system, it is nothing special.

And no matter what I tried I don not get any typescript templates (if I am correct there would be a HTML version and a MVC version) not in VS 2012 and not in VS2013.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try next??

I would like to take Typescript for a test drive, but they make it close to impossible for me to do so.

Kind regards,

Clemens Linders
Coordinator
May 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM
@Clemens

TypeScript comes in-box with Visual Studio 2013 Update 2, so you shouldn't have to install anything extra to be able to create a TypeScript project. When you open a .ts file in VS, do you get syntax highlighting and intellisense? If not it sounds like it's possible Update 2 did not update cleanly.

Just to be clear, the npm package is not needed for using TypeScript from VS. It's a separate way of getting TypeScript targeting npm users. It doesn't contain the VS plugin.
May 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM
I would suggest to rerun the install and select "repair".