TypeScript Builds

Topics: General
Oct 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Many JavaScript projects, especially those on github, use build tools like gruntjs, which provide build-time features like lint, unit testing, minification, API doc generation, etc.

Obviously, we could configure our own TypeScript projects to use these tools as well from the command line, but I wonder what the build tools for TypeScript could look like, especially if they were tightly integrated into VS?

Basically, I would ideally like to be able to right-click my TypeScript project in VS and check off: Lint, Test, Watch, Minify, Generate API Documentation, etc.

In addition to wondering what the TypeScript roadmap is for build tools, what is the current state as far as:

1. Does TypeScript's build output compile without warnings or errors in Google Closure Compiler w/ Advanced Optimizations? Note: I tried running the Simple Inheritance playground sample thru it and it gave me 2 mildly concerning warnings.
  2. What does the JSLint or JSHint output look like if I run some of the commonly generated output (e.g. classes, inheritance, modules) through it?
  3. How can we enforce strict mode in our source code?
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Agreed that we'd like to know that the .js output is as clean as possible.

We'd talked about a strict mode, and I think that's a good idea.  Do you have specific thoughts on what strict mode should enforce (like bugs that should be caught but aren't)?