TypeScript for mobile apps?

Topics: General
Nov 10, 2012 at 6:49 AM

I'm struggling to find free programming language environments with cross-platform support for mobile devices such as Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. If TypeScript had a well-supported tool for directly running TypeScript code as mobile apps, I'd definitely consider adopting it.

The more direct, the better. Right now, it looks like no matter which language I try, I have to compile it into a secondary, then tertiary language just to get it onto the bloody device.

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:12 PM

We are developing a iOS/Android App (maybe Windows Phone in near future) using Appcelerator. You can found a scaffolding projecte here.

You can also use PhoneGAP/Cordova with typescript.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Thanks for the link!

I'm aware of such toolchains. I just don't want to manage four distinct applications and three languages just to get TypeScript running on mobile platforms. I'm after a more direct development environment.

On Nov 10, 2012 2:12 PM, "alvivi" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
>
> From: alvivi
>
> We are developing a iOS/Android App (maybe Windows Phone in near future) using Appcelerator. You can found a scaffolding projecte here.
>
> You can also use PhoneGAP/Cordova with typescript.
>
> Read the full discussion online.
>
> To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (typescript@discussions.codeplex.com)
>
> To start a new discussion for this project, email typescript@discussions.codeplex.com
>
> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
>
> Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM
mcandre wrote:

I'm struggling to find free programming language environments with cross-platform support for mobile devices such as Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. If TypeScript had a well-supported tool for directly running TypeScript code as mobile apps, I'd definitely consider adopting it.

The more direct, the better. Right now, it looks like no matter which language I try, I have to compile it into a secondary, then tertiary language just to get it onto the bloody device.

Have you heard about Haxe? Alternatively, you can write a webapp using Apache Cordova in TypeScript and compile to JavaScript while building it, or at runtime, using TypeScript Compile.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Haxe is schizoid about its front end language. I'm looking for a development environment more linear. One language, one compilation step.

On Nov 10, 2012 4:10 PM, "niutech" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mcandre wrote:

Have you heard about Haxe? Alternatively, you can write a webapp using Apache Cordova in TypeScript and compile to JavaScript while building it, or at runtime, using TypeScript Compile.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (typescript@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email typescript@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Schizoid, rly? So Why don't you develop in Adobe Flex using ActionScript, or in Xamarin using C#.