Move to Github

Topics: General
Mar 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM
I know CodePlex is M$' stuff but it sucks for a lot of reasons!
Since TypeScript is open source (so technically anyone can contribute) please move it to GitHub.

It's way way more easier to contribute!
Besides, everyone else is there in the open source world!

For some weird reasons this message is not even visible on Codeplex!!!!! http://screencast.com/t/1Y6Gb7XX
Mar 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Mar 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Unlike most of MS's other websites, CodePlex itself is being actively developed in an open fashion. If you have problems or suggestions you should post them here.

To me, it seems it would make zero sense for MS to host projects they're internally developing on 3rd party websites they do not control.
Mar 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM
WindowsAzure is the oddball. I guess pushing their cloud means they need more exposure ;-) https://github.com/WindowsAzure
Mar 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM
"M$"? Really? It's 2013, for the gods' sakes.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM, DotNetWise <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I know CodePlex is M$' stuff but it sucks for a lot of reasons!
Since TypeScript is open source (so technically anyone can contribute) please move it to GitHub.

It's way way more easier to contribute!
Besides, everyone else is there in the open source world!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (typescript@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email typescript@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM
You're still wondering why M$? I'm pretty sure everyone understands it :)
Move to GitHub as WindowsAzure projects are there! Please!
Mar 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM
I don't see any benefit to it being on github. If anything it's worse for hosting exe files up there, it's not what it's designed for.
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM
They're probably not even accepting contributions right now. So it wouldn't benefit them at all to move to Github. And if you want to branch, you could just download the repo and then push it to your own Github account. They literally have nothing to gain from moving to Github, so why would they waste time doing it?
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM
That's a fair review. However if they want contributions, then CodePlex is not the right place.

GJK wrote:
They're probably not even accepting contributions right now. So it wouldn't benefit them at all to move to Github. And if you want to branch, you could just download the repo and then push it to your own Github account. They literally have nothing to gain from moving to Github, so why would they waste time doing it?
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM
DotNetWise wrote:
You're still wondering why M$? I'm pretty sure everyone understands it :)
Yeah, everyone understands it and it stopped being funny or clever about 10 years ago.
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM
There is a direct financial incentive to use GitHub for Windows Azure. Azure costs money to use. They want as much exposure as possible, even it means some loss of control. TypeScript and other MS projects that are free have no incentive whatsoever to use a 3rd party site.
Mar 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I am curious...

What exactly makes it easier to contribute on GitHub than here?... You can fork, you can generate pull requests... Same cycle...
So exactly what are you missing?

GitHub properly have the most advantages when it comes to managing your project, where CodePlex has a limited number of advantages over GitHub, but all of them isn't in the core of hosting your source code, they are in how you write documentation or expose your project, deal with issues and so forth... Then again, maybe I am wrong here, my evaluation of GitHub vs. CodePlex is purely subjective, I prefer GitHub my self, so that might blind me.

Also, think about it, if Microsoft want's codeplex to succeed as a place for OpenSource, moving all their own projects to the competitor seems like it would counter that... The fact that the Azure SDK's are hosted on GitHub is all speculations untill MS gives a reason, it could just as well be because that those projects started before CodePlex had support for Git.

Anyways, point being, why bother with moving it?... Some will prefer the one, some the other... But both GitHub, CodePlex, BitBucket and so forth can be great places to host your OpenSource project, I think the rest comes down to personal preference.
Jul 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Edited Jul 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM
So it took you guys one year and 4.5 months to realize and accept it. Faster than IE releases, though. Good job!
We have moved!

We've heard your feedback and are moving to GitHub . Please see the related blog post for more information.
Last edited Jul 21 at 8:08 PM by jonturner, version 25
https://typescript.codeplex.com/