AS3 to TypeScript Conversion Tool

Topics: General
Apr 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM
I write a lot of HTML5 games and my preferred language of choice is TypeScript. I love the compile-time errors, code-insight and debugging tools it provides. A large part of my work is porting over ActionScript3 code from Flash games. I found that I was going through the same motions over and over again; simple things like changing “Boolean” to “bool”, or rename the class function to “constructor”.

It got to the point where I figured it would save time to write a script to help with the process. So I did, and I’ve released it for anyone else who may benefit from it. The script runs on a local web server and can convert either a single file or a whole directory full of them. It will intelligently deep-scan a folder structure, converting just the ActionScript files that it finds along the way. I’ve successfully run it across the whole of the flixel codebase with no issues, so I’m hopeful it’ll work for you.
Apr 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM
That's pretty cool. I wonder if you could have saved some time and used the Jangaroo compiler for your AS3 code base, and used those classes as JS from TypeScript.