How exactly do I update from source, e.g. the develop branch?

Topics: Code Checkins, General
Jun 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Edited Jun 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I installed the public 0.9.0 MSI earlier today and was instantly blocked with a bug ( ) so I read that this bug was closed and fixed in the develop branch, so I'm trying to update the installed compiler.

I'm somewhat confused at the role of all of the various parts of the build. I've managed to compile the latest develop branch (using node/jake) and I see in my built\local folder:
I'm working off the latest changeset as of today. I ran the test suite, and got:
Scenarios: 5069 passed, 0 failed.
Testcases: 8071 passed, 0 failed.
  Blocked: 497
I'm going to assume this means the compiler is in relatively good shape. Good enough to compile:
declare module Foo {
        enum Bar {
                A = 1, B = 2, C = 3
Which, as of the released 0.9.0 is a problem - there's a bug which says ambient enum cannot have initializers. Apparently, it's been fixed ( ) and this is blocking me, so here I find myself.

I followed the instructions at:

...but this only replaces the typescriptService.js file. What about the rest of the output? Surely I need the compiler (tsc.js?) too? Or is this monolithic file the equivalent for Visual Studio? Do I need to do anything else as I replaced it at:
...\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TypeScript
Am I missing another step? I restarted Visual Studio 2012 to no avail. There are no messages from the language service, other than: "Compiling TypeScript..." - there are no errors either, and the JS output is never generated.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Since you compiled using node, you can compile using the following command line:

node local\built\tsc.js <parameters> <files>
Jun 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Edited Jun 27, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Hi Paul

I'm actually trying to ask in a long winded way, how do I update the typescript compiler for Visual Studio 2012, the 0.9 MSI, by updating the compiler and language services from the develop branch? I know the plugin is not there, but I thought the JS files could simply be replaced? The compile process generates about ten files, but the blog entry says I should just update the languageservices.js file to update VS. That makes no sense to me. What about the other 9 files?